Dave Page dpage at pgadmin.org
Tue Sep 16 06:09:38 PDT 2008
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 1:14 PM, xplicare <info at xplicare.com> wrote:

> Thank you Dave!
>
> I finally got it working :)
> Synchronisation works like a charm now.

:-)

> Only thing left is the pgpass.conf file. Since there was no pgpass file yet
> in either my own %APPDATA%/postgresql dir nor in the same directory under my
> user postgres I created a pgpass file as suggested in:
> http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.8/slony-path.html
>
> So I put 2 lines in pgpass.conf:
> localhost:5432:master:postgres:<postgres password>
> localhost:5432:slave:postgres:<postgres password>
>
> After I made it a hidden file and put it in my own %APPDATA%/postgresql dir
> I got the following messages when I started the Slony-I service again:
> FATAL main: Cannot connect to local database - fe_sendauth: no password
> supplied - sleep 10s

It needs to go in the %APPDATA% for the user that the Slony service
runs as. You can check that in the Services control panel applet, on
the Log On tab of the service properties.

> So I suspect he didn't found my password file. After this I tried to put the
> file under the postgres user on my system, however this gave me the same
> result.

Maybe you accidently installed as another user - eg. LocalSystem?

> For safety issues I think it better to use a pgpass file instead of sending
> the password with the connection string, but until now I only get Slony-I
> working if I provide the password in the connection string.

Yes, definitely more secure to use pgpass.

--
Dave Page