xplicare info at xplicare.com
Tue Sep 16 05:14:38 PDT 2008

Dave Page-7 wrote:

> The documentation you were reading discusses that - see the first
> section of http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.8/slony-path.html.
> --
> Dave Page

Thank you Dave!

I finally got it working :)
Synchronisation works like a charm now.

Only thing left is the pgpass.conf file. Since there was no pgpass file yet
in either my own %APPDATA%/postgresql dir nor in the same directory under my
user postgres I created a pgpass file as suggested in:
http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.8/slony-path.html

So I put 2 lines in pgpass.conf:
localhost:5432:master:postgres:<postgres password>
localhost:5432:slave:postgres:<postgres password>

After I made it a hidden file and put it in my own %APPDATA%/postgresql dir
I got the following messages when I started the Slony-I service again:
FATAL main: Cannot connect to local database - fe_sendauth: no password
supplied - sleep 10s

So I suspect he didn't found my password file. After this I tried to put the
file under the postgres user on my system, however this gave me the same
result.

For safety issues I think it better to use a pgpass file instead of sending
the password with the connection string, but until now I only get Slony-I
working if I provide the password in the connection string.

Any suggestions?

Arjan