xplicare info at xplicare.com
Tue Sep 16 07:34:58 PDT 2008

Dave Page-7 wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 1:14 PM, xplicare <info at xplicare.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you Dave!
>>
>> I finally got it working :)
>> Synchronisation works like a charm now.
>
> :-)
>
>> Only thing left is the pgpass.conf file. Since there was no pgpass file
>> yet
>> in either my own %APPDATA%/postgresql dir nor in the same directory under
>> my
>> user postgres I created a pgpass file as suggested in:
>> http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.8/slony-path.html
>>
>> So I put 2 lines in pgpass.conf:
>> localhost:5432:master:postgres:<postgres password>
>> localhost:5432:slave:postgres:<postgres password>
>>
>> After I made it a hidden file and put it in my own %APPDATA%/postgresql
>> dir
>> I got the following messages when I started the Slony-I service again:
>> FATAL main: Cannot connect to local database - fe_sendauth: no password
>> supplied - sleep 10s
>
> It needs to go in the %APPDATA% for the user that the Slony service
> runs as. You can check that in the Services control panel applet, on
> the Log On tab of the service properties.
>
>> So I suspect he didn't found my password file. After this I tried to put
>> the
>> file under the postgres user on my system, however this gave me the same
>> result.
>
> Maybe you accidently installed as another user - eg. LocalSystem?
>
>> For safety issues I think it better to use a pgpass file instead of
>> sending
>> the password with the connection string, but until now I only get Slony-I
>> working if I provide the password in the connection string.
>
> Yes, definitely more secure to use pgpass.
>

> --
> Dave Page

EUREKA!

Got it all to work now. Few strange things though:
The service was running as a: 'Local Service'.
Since there is no 'Local Service User' on my system I tried adding the
pgpass file to all %APPDATA%/postgresql dirs on my system including
'Default' user, 'postgres' user and myself. This did not work. I still got
the password error:
FATAL main: Cannot connect to local database - fe_sendauth: no password
supplied - sleep 10s

First I changed the owner of the service to 'Local System account'. I left
the pgpass file in every %APPDATA%/postgresql dir I could find and started
the service again... Still the same error.

I then decided to change the owner of the service Slony-I to the user
postgres, which made sense to me at least. The pgpass file was already in
the %APPDATA%/postgresql dir of the postgres user. This did not work either.

The only thing that does work is to change the owner of the service to the
user that is logged in (myself) and putting the pgpass file in my own
%APPDATA%/postgresql dir. That is the way I did it now and that seems to
work just fine.

Thanks for all your help Dave, I'm really glad I can start working on my
application now since the replication is all set up :)

regards,

Arjan