Peter Eisentraut peter_e
Thu Dec 15 13:54:43 PST 2005
Am Donnerstag, 15. Dezember 2005 14:27 schrieb cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info:
> The "search for plpgsql.so" is there to ensure that it'll be there at
> runtime in that plenty of the Slony-I functionality operates as pl/pgsql
> functions.

But looking for the file doesn't tell you anything about that.  It doesn't say
that the file can be loaded or that you are even looking at the right server
instance (or even that the file indeed does contain PL/pgSQL).  Slony in
particular will likely run on two or more hosts, and you don't know anything
about the other hosts.

When you finally load the slony support functions, the PostgreSQL server is
perfectly capable of telling the user "plpgsql does not exist, run
createlang".  What's wrong with that?  Users can install plpgsql then, and
there is no need to recompile anything.

Note that the slony build process doesn't even require a PostgreSQL server to
be installed.  Shouldn't you warn about that?