Vitale, Anthony, Sony Music anthony.vitale at sonymusic.com
Wed Jun 5 13:07:48 PDT 2013
Hello Guys

I am new to the Slony World as well as Postgres World, And I have a question which I have tried to get info from the Web but without success. (At least maybe I did get the answer and do not like what I think I understand).

Here is my question.

At a point in Time,  I have a Master Database running Slony V 2.1.0 and a Slave Node running Slony V 2.1.0

I now need to update Slony to v2.1.2

Can I upgrade the Slave Node To V2.1.2 ahead of the Master being upgraded to V2.1.0 or vice versa

Or Does Slony require 100% version equality within the nodes at all times.
I Got this From the  Documentation Regarding Minor Slony-I version Upgrades.

*         Stop the slon<http://slony.info/documentation/2.1/slon.html> processes on all nodes. (e.g. - old version of slon<http://slony.info/documentation/2.1/slon.html>)

*         Install the new version of slon<http://slony.info/documentation/2.1/slon.html> software on all nodes.

*         Execute a slonik<http://slony.info/documentation/2.1/slonik.html> script containing the command update functions (id = [whatever]); for each node in the cluster.

Which Would Say the Answer to my question is YES.

But What Happens if Based on Geographic location of the Servers within the Clusters Not All the Nodes Can be upgraded at the Same Time,

Is there any Real Time Experience out there with anyone who  Can Tell me how they may have upgraded multiple servers in which on some nodes based on the availability of the techs overseeing the servers there was delays regarding the Install the new Software Version in the steps above.

Is there a Hard Rule that the Slony versions must be 100% exact at all times, or can a Target Node be at a newer subversion ahead of the Master and still run.

And Since It appears that the Slony C libraries Are put out there as part of the Postgres libraries it would appear that I would not be able to have the upgraded lib .so's out there on the Target server just waiting to be used, the Make needs to happen after the Stop.

Thanks