Steve Singer ssinger at ca.afilias.info
Wed Nov 23 13:09:13 PST 2011
On 11-11-23 09:27 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Steve Singer<ssinger at ca.afilias.info>  wrote:
>> On 11-11-23 04:28 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:

>>> ISTM that setting the remote worker to REPEATABLE READ would work well
>>> for this case. Patch attached.
>>>

>> Simon, Did you forget to attach the patch? I don't see it.
>
> Looks that way.

Thanks for the patch.

So why would a SERIALIZABLE READ ONLY DEFERRED transaction produce fewer
conflicts than a READ COMMITTED transaction?  Currently the
remote_listener gets the default isolation level (READ COMMITTED).

The attached patch combines your two patches plus performs the same
change to other places in remote_worker (there are places in
remote_worker.c where that initial transaction is rolledback and
restarted, this version also makes sure that those transactions are
started as READ COMMITTED).   It also makes the connections that the
remote helpers do to the remote database for querying sl_log_x READ ONLY
DEFERRED.

When I run this patch through the test suite on 9.1 I don't see any
serialization pivot failures (at least not yet).