Brian Hirt bhirt at me.com
Sat Nov 13 07:30:44 PST 2010
check_postgres.pl (http://bucardo.org/wiki/Check_postgres) is a great tool for giving you an early heads up that replication lag is getting behind.  Used in conjunction with something like nagios, it will pretty much let you know as soon as things start going wrong.  In my experience, once you get to that point where replication falls a day behind it's becomes progressively harder to fix.  Knowing that something broke five minutes ago usually makes it much easier to track down.

Brian Hirt
bhirt at me.com