Steve Singer ssinger at ca.afilias.info
Wed Nov 10 05:15:26 PST 2010
On 10-11-09 07:13 PM, Richard Yen wrote:
> Hmm, that seems to make sense.  Given that Daylight Savings Time just
> ended, that might explain the reason why it got abandoned, since my slon
> procs run on a central/remote server
>
> Leads me to a separate question: are there pros/cons to running the slon
> app on a remote server rather than on the local server?  Seems like it
> makes administration easer--but at the cost of increased network traffic?
>
> Do you have any insight to this?

Administration is easier, it MIGHT simplify your security procedures
(you could have all the db servers 'trust' one admin server or have a
.pgpass file in the one admin server instead of passwords spread out
everywhere).   But it will increase network traffic.

I'd say that at a minimum I would try to have the slon running on the
same LAN segment as the database instance it is serving.  The latency of
running slon over a WAN might be an issue + slon does not deal well with
network outages that tend to be more common on a WAN.

Our dba team tends to run the slons from central admin servers and I
think they are happy with how it works out.