Steve Singer ssinger at ca.afilias.info
Tue Apr 20 06:26:04 PDT 2010
Brian Fehrle wrote:
> Hi,
>     I'm working a script that will monitor a slony log file (the daemon
> output log, not logs generated by the -a param), in this case the slave
> log, and search it for various things. In order to not find the same log
> line multiple times, I'm appending my own "checkpoint" line to the slon
> slave log. However, this line I added gets removed a few moments after I
> write it to the file.
>
> Is there any way for me to change this behavior, or another way for me
> to get a custom log line into the slon slave daemon's log? Or would I be
> better off looking for an alternate method to this?

Brian,

Have you considered writing a program/script that launches the slon and
  then read slon's  stdout/stderr as a stream thus seeing each line of
output as slon outputs it?

I have a java application that does type of thing and so far it seems to
be working well (though I haven't yet gotten to writing the code to
detecting interesting events from the slon output)

Launching a subprocess and reading from its output stream can be done in
a few lines of perl or python.

Steve

> I am using slony version 1.2.20
>
> thanks in advance,