Andy Dale andy.dale at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 01:19:44 PST 2009
Hi,

For a project I am working on we are using slony (1.2-16) to replicate data
from a master to 2 slaves.

The controlled failover (move set) works really well, however to do this all
nodes must be reachable.  There is a requirement to perform a failover when
the master site is no longer reachable, to do this I am currently using the
failover command followed by the drop node command.

The problem now is that it is very likely that the old master will be
started up in the same state as before the failover was performed (with all
the old replication settings) and this site should then become the master
again (with any new data that was added during it was offline).  What is the
best approach to this problem, the only solution I can think of is:

1) Stop any slon process on the previous master site.
2) Drop "replication schema" at the previous master.
3) Add the node and paths to the previous master to the current running
slony cluster.
4) Subscribe the previous master to the replication set(s).
5) Move set(s) back to the previous master.

Is this a better approach than the one above.

Thanks,

Andy