Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Fri Jan 11 07:44:49 PST 2008
On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 09:34:24AM -0500, Bill Moran wrote:

> I do this quite frequently (to grab data out of our production environment
> to our lab for testing purposes, for example).  I've yet to see any
> problems ... what is it that's supposed to go awry when I do this?
> What is the danger?

Slony has fooled with the catalog tables.  You get an unrestorable dump.
Some versions of pg_dump actually won't dump as a result of this -- they
notice the problem, and quit.

There's a tool that ships with Slony that is supposed to allow dumping on a
replica.  It doesn't seem to have had a lot of testing.  It'd be nice to get
some reports of its utility and reliability.