Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Fri Jan 11 07:29:21 PST 2008
On Jan 11, 2008, at 9:34 AM, Bill Moran wrote:

> I do this quite frequently (to grab data out of our production
> environment
> to our lab for testing purposes, for example).  I've yet to see any
> problems ... what is it that's supposed to go awry when I do this?
> What is the danger?

your schema is mucked about by slony, so when you restore, you may not
get what you expect to get in terms of triggers, rules, etc.

I sometimes take a clean schema dump (with slony stuff removed) from
the master, and data-only dump from the replica, then use the
pg_restore -l and -L options to prune what gets restored (ie, comment
out all the slony related stuff).