James T Mugauri james at africonnect.co.zm
Wed Apr 16 11:55:11 PDT 2008
On 04/16/2008 07:15 PM, Dane Miller wrote:
> Hi James,
>   I'm definitely not the Slony expert of this list, but I'm pretty
> confused by your description.  Could you try simplifying it and making
> it more generic?  It's hard to parse, but I tried.  See below.
>   =

sorry, man.. something of mine got in the way of me..... :)
> James T Mugauri wrote:
>   =

>> We are trying to implement centralised customer billing and
>> relationship management while enabling each geographic area to have
>> independence in terms of Authorization acrmnd Authentication of customer
>> devices... These latter functions are carried out by a
>> Motorola-developed application running on a Postgres database.
>>     =

> To clarify, "these latter functions" refer to auth?  So you want
> separate geographic locations to have their own auth data.  Each
> location has a Motorola application that uses this auth data.  Is that
> right?
>   =

There are 2 main databases, both running postgres... billing and client =

relations, which needs no replication, then auth n acc which relies on =

the billing/crm and should be replicated (for better availability, =

robustness et al)..

Auth and acc information should also be 'aggregated' in real time since =

subscription is based on both speed and usage.
> It sounds like each of your geographic locations must write auth data and=
 accounting data to
> the location's local postgresql database.  =

yes, invariably
> And you want some mechanism
> to synchronize each location's local database with every other location?
>
>   =

yes... is this, frankly, better achieved with cronjobs?
> Dane
>   =

thanks for this response, Dane... Looking forward to your next...