salman salmanb at quietcaresystems.com
Tue Apr 8 13:04:44 PDT 2008
Jeff Frost wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Bill Moran wrote:

>>> I looked through the docs already but I have a couple of questions about
>>> the process and wanted clarification.
>>>
>>> I would like to use the slony recommended method to upgrade our 8.2.x pg
>>> install to 8.3.1. If I understand the documentation correctly, I need to
>>> install 8.3.1 on the server, make a slave node to the master and let
>>> slony sync the data between the two. Then, once the data is fairly
>>> in-sync, stop write applications, and issue a move set command to start
>>> using the new, updated master.
>>>
>>> The questions I have are as follows:
>>>
>>> 1) Since node IDs x,y are already in use by the primary master (x) and
>>> slave (y), the new 8.3.1 node will receive an ID of 'z' (1,2,3 in
>>> numbers). Is it possible to rename the new node (z) to x?  I was unable
>>> to find any docs about this.
>>
>> I don't know the answer to this one.
>
> The answer is unfortunately, still no.  So, your upgraded server will
> become node 3 and if that's going to be the new master and you want it
> to be node 1, the only way to do this is tear down replication and
> reinstall the cluster with different node IDs.

Ugh. So any existing scripts and/or cron jobs would have to be modified
and tested, again, to make sure they work. I was hoping such a base
feature would be in there and I just missed it while going through the
docs page, but I guess not.

-salman