Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Fri Mar 9 08:06:20 PST 2007
Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> As you ave seen i'm still a novice on slony, but i've just some doubt
> on it.
>
> 1) master have all the connect information for the slave(s), so why
>  there's a slon daemon also on the slave? master can simply
> insert/delete/update data on their own?

As far as the slon daemon is concerned, there is no such thing as a
"master" or a "slave."

There is just:

1.  The node that I am managing, and
2.  Other nodes that I draw events from.

The result is that switching roles (e.g. - when you do MOVE SET or
FAILOVER) does not require shifting processes around.  When a node takes
over the "provider" role for a set, there's nothing too special about
that - the slon managing the node can already manage that.

> 2) (probably conflicting with 1) why on slave there's no a trigger that
> simply redirect insert/delete/update on the master, instead of
> preventing it?

That would mean building a multimaster replication system, and conflict
resolution is a Big Problem with doing that.

Slony-I was designed as a single-master replication system; let it be
good at what it is, rather than trying to force Big Problems onto it...