Jeff Amiel jamiel at istreamimaging.com
Mon Jun 18 08:14:16 PDT 2007
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 08:18:59AM -0500, Jeff Amiel wrote:
>   =

>> I have 2 nodes subscribed to a single master.
>> One of them had some issues at one point, and while new events appear to =

>> be replicating at the moment, there are somehow gaps in the dataset.
>>     =

> The situation you describe should be _impossible_.  If it has
> happened, we sure want to know why.  Did you do anything else during
> these issues?  What were the issues anyway?
>   =

I would agree...but I am sure this is MY fault either through neglect =

(old slony version slony1-1.1.5_1  ) or blatent mis-use  (I was in a =

particularly harried state at the time)

Back then this started, had an issue with the site hosting the second =

subscriber node (couldn't access it) ....and every 30 minutes or so, the =

master node slony would crash/restart because it couldn't communicate =

with the subscriber node...which was no good (old version of slony =

probably didn't help here)
I removed the node from replication (but I don't remember how...either =

by dropping the node (via the "Replication' item in pgadmin) or some =

other means)  Once our remote site access was restored, I re-added the =

node (via slon script to set up the subscriptions properly).  I remember =

this being only a few hours later.  I apparently didn't check to see if =

it was properly replicating.

On this part Friday, however, we noticed that it appeared that =

replication to the DR site was not occurring at all (and probably hadn't =

been since the incident)....and realized that the sl_node table had =

no_active set to 'false' for that node.  I then used a couple of slony =

functions to re-enable the node....and replication begin again.

I know I made mistakes here....and having a concrete course of action to =

take a node offline and bring it back online would be helpful.  What IS =

the proper way to temporarily drop a node and then re-enable it later?

Jeff