Andreas Kostyrka andreas
Wed Nov 29 10:33:56 PST 2006
* Andrew Sullivan <ajs at crankycanuck.ca> [061129 19:26]:
> On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 11:37:50AM -0500, Vivek Khera wrote:
> > loathe to learn yet another tool... and yes, that sounds like
> > "everyone else is doing it..."  if we are to switch, i'd prefer svn
> > simply for the reason that it is widely known and used in many OS
> > projects and is very similar to the way things are now with CVS.
>
> That's, to me, the reason to avoid some of the more obscure systems,
> even if they are better in some technical sense.  This is the same
> reason, in the absence of a bunch of LISP geniuses, I would not
> advocate writing things in LISP.  Or whatever.  The most useful tool
> is the tool you know and that will do the job, and that goes as well
> for source control as for database systems or languages or operating
> systems.

One important benefit of svn is, that is the "standard" scm nowadays.
This means, that even if one wants to use something else personally, a
number of scm support using svn repositories.

E.g.:

svk => offline working, and really nice support for branching (which
makes it worth the effort even on a desktop that does not travel).

git-svn + git => quite nice support for working offline. Not as
integrated as svk into svn, but it's ok. Really cool branch support
fast and painless, but it takes some effort to maintain an externally
visible svn branch in the repo.

And svn is really an easy upgrade path for cvs users, while at the
same providing quite an improvement over cvs.

Andreas