Rod Taylor pg
Tue Mar 21 19:05:36 PST 2006
On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 08:35 -0800, Ujwal S. Setlur wrote:
> I tried tuning a bunch fof things, but the subscriber
> never did catch up, so I restarted replication from
> scratch. Make me a little nervous...

Chris,

I don't recall whether Slony would scale up the group size automatically
to a large transaction boundary if a normal group was smaller than the
largest transaction size in the time period it is covering.

Ujwal,

If not, bumping up the group size to a setting of several thousand, -g
10000 is standard operation here, it can catch it up in a hurry.

The catch is that each batch may take a couple of hours to process,
although you will be dealing with significantly more data than that.
Once it catches up group sizes transferred will automatically step back
down to a more reasonable size (copies everything available at the time
-- if it is only a few SYNCs then that is what it deals with).

I found that by the time the initial replication stage was complete
(data copy) the sl_log_1 structure can grow to be several hundred
million tuples in length.

Slony is not yet ready for handling a large (> 2TB) database with 2 or
more full copy slaves. The initial data copy simply becomes far too
painful.

400GB at 2B transactions/year already requires nearly double hardware
(CPU & RAM) to get through the initial data copy as would otherwise be
required for standard DB operation. Lack of VACUUM during this time is a
killer. Emptying sl_log_1 with everything being in a single transaction
at the beginning is also painful.