Bernd Helmle mailings
Tue Dec 12 00:26:27 PST 2006

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 11:47:04 -0500, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at crankycanuck.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 03:05:00PM +0100, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>>
>> well after the latest fixes in CVS they actually work(at least i use
>> them regulary) - and I think it is Bernds intention to take over
>> maintainance and actively fix them ...

Thats exactly my intention. I'm currently about to clean up the code and
to make them to use at least strict/warning. What we need for this kind
of tools is a reliable framework and regression tests, so that broken
functionality could be detected. I have some ideas already...

> Well, if they're fixed, shouldn't they get installed where any other
> utilities do?  I'm a little unhappy with polluting the main Postgres
> tree, though (and always was).  Shouldn't we install under contrib/
> or something?

Well, that's my concern, too. Currently we are installing
our tools into the PostgreSQL installation tree, the altperl sample config
file still wants to go to sysconfdir. I think this should go to pgsharedir,
where all other postgresql sample files live.

Thanks

Bernd