Andreas Kostyrka andreas
Fri Dec 8 01:39:30 PST 2006
* St?phane Schildknecht <stephane.schildknecht at postgresqlfr.org> [061208 10:15]:
> Hi all,
>
> I read in documentation that dumping a slave is a really bad option as
> slony1 modifies the catalog systems.
>
> Knowing that, I guess backups have to be done on the master.  But, what
> would be the risks to dump database on the slave without dumping the
> slony replication schema?

The basic concept is:

pg_dump -s -n public -h masterdb database >schema.sql
pg_dump -a -n public -h slavedb database >data.sql

Reapply for all schemas you need.

Now to restore, you need to split schema.sql into a start part (where
the tables and stuff are declared), and an end part (where the
constraints are defined). In between, because of the missing
constraints one can apply the the data from the slave cleanly.

> Is it indeed possible to dump the database without including the
> replication schema (neither on slave or master)? Would that give me a
> fully usable dump?
If you don't use triggers, probably.

Andreas