Victoria Parsons victoria.parsons
Fri Dec 1 03:19:04 PST 2006
Hi,

I have been using slony to replicate two database from a master machine
to a varied number of slaves on a production system. The maximum that
has been tested is 12. I have been asked how many we could get up to.
>From following the mailing list I have got an idea in my head of no more
than about 20. This is because of the increased CPU each slon daemon
uses. I know this could be increased to some extent by getting a more
powerful machine for my master.

There is talk here of replicating two databases to 1024 machines. I'm
pretty sure that will fall over in a big heap. Has anyone ever tried
that many? I have never used the log shipping method - would that help
by reducing load on the master? Also I run all slon daemons from the
master server. Would it become more scalable if I moved the slon daemons
to each slave in the system.

If its crazy to try and get that many machines replicating then just
scream at me now and we'll sort out a different way to send data.

Thanks,
Vicki

This message should be regarded as confidential. If you have received this
email in error please notify the sender and destroy it immediately.
Statements of intent shall only become binding when confirmed in hard copy
by an authorized signatory.