Steve Simms steve
Thu May 26 18:36:51 PDT 2005
On Thu, 26 May 2005, Darrell A. Sullivan, II wrote:

> I am considering a few different open source databases and one of my big
> requirements is the ability to replicate my database for backup purposes.
>
> My major goal is not high availability. If the database becomes unavailable
> for several hours it will not be a tragedy. What I do want to make sure of
> is that all of my data updates are replicated to another server in a secured
> location a thousand miles from the main server for disaster recovery
> purposes.
>
> It appears that Slony is the proposed solution for this on PostgreSQL.

Let me second James Robinson's reply -- you should look at PostgreSQL's
Point-in-time recovery instead of replication for what you want.  It's much
easier to set up and maintain, if all you need is a continuous backup.

See documentation here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/backup-online.html

I was able to start from the documentation and get a 9GB database cluster on
a continual backup to another machine in an afternoon, including
interruptions, with no extra downloads or compiling necessary.  A restore
after several days of intense activity took a little under an hour from a
fresh OS install.

If you decide later on that you want load balancing, high availability, or
if you want to run queries on that server a thousand miles away, then you
should look at Slony.

Hope this helps,
Steve Simms

--