Nugent, Brian NUGENTB
Thu May 26 15:28:12 PDT 2005
Answers to questions below:
- Yes I will need 2 way replication
- There is a slight possibility of data collisions
- Yes the data sets are being collected to one big server
- I'm not sure what you mean by orthogonal

Other pertinent info:
- I have no technical knowledge of replication (thanks for you patience)
- I actually have a 2 tiered system
	1 Master server with 3 remote servers
	Each remote server will update 20-25 laptops

I appreciate your help,
Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Marlowe [mailto:smarlowe at g2switchworks.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 10:36 AM
To: Nugent, Brian
Cc: slony1-general at gborg.postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [Slony1-general] Replication

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 12:24, Nugent, Brian wrote:
> I need a replication system for PostgreSQL.  I have laptops that spend
> 4 to 5 days off of the network at a time.  Will slony1 work with a mobile
> work force?  Also, what is the maximum object size that slony1 will handle?

You don't really give us enough information about your problem to be
able to solve it.  Will you need two way replication, will there be data
collisions that will need to be resolved, are these data sets being
collated on one big server, do the sets tend to be orthogonal to each
other?

Generally, this type of problem is far more complex than most people
realize, and each solution is different based on your business needs.