cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info cbbrowne
Mon May 2 02:39:34 PDT 2005
> So I thought I would stick my head out of the funhouse for a moment and
> ask people out in the world if they have ever seen this behavior with
> slony, or if any of the postgres gurus on the list know of any situation
> in which a pg_listener record could get left lying around.

You're still running 1.0.2, right?

If either a postmaster or a slon goes down ungracefully, that will leave
notifications sitting around that would need to be cleaned out.

As of 1.0.5, that is done automatically when each slon starts up, but it
wasn't done in earlier versions.  With earlier versions it was pretty easy
for failures of any sort to leave notifications lying around such that
you'd need to run the slonik command RESET NODE to clean up.

This was something we found massively useful at Afilias; we had quite a
lot of cases of replication falling somewhat behind because a node got
deranged where the report was "Will be addressed when we get to version
1.0.5".  Those cases certainly did go away...