Hannu Krosing hannu
Thu Jul 21 14:56:53 PDT 2005
Hi

I have started to have locking issues on pg_listener (i.e listen/notify)
and so I have again started to think about my old request of running
slony without listen/notify.

Could somebody explain me what is the function of LISTEN/NOTIFY in
slony ?

I can't imagine them being used for anything really important (as they
are not all quaranteed to arrive to client at all), and thus I assume
that they are used just as a pacekeeping device in order to not overload
the database with slony requests.

Is my assumption right ?

In this case, I think I could just remove all "notify XXX" commands from
slony queries and replace the function waiting for notifies with a dummy
(or maybe a 50ms wait), as I run a database which is under heavy OLTP
load and doesalways have something new for slony by the time it finishes
its processing.

Otoh, if the events got by LISTENing are used for something essential,
could I just have a single separate thread that sends all possible
notifies in a tight loop and keep the listener function intact ?

--
Hannu Krosing <hannu at skype.net>