Daniel P. Berrange dan
Thu Jul 21 12:02:10 PDT 2005
On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 11:29:02AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> We've run into a small problem with the Win32 port. When running 'make
> install' from the top level directory, make actually tries to build the
> 'INSTALL' file, rather than doing what it should. I guess this is
> because of the filename case insensitivity on Windows. 'make install'
> works just fine from the src/ directory, or if INSTALL is renamed.
>
> Anyone know a way we can force make to do the right thing, rather than
> rename the INSTALL file?

I think you probably need to list the 'install' target as 'PHONY'
eg

  .PHONY: install

In fact its probably a good idea to list all virtual targets, such
as 'all', 'clean', 'install', etc under .PHONY - automake for example
does this for al its special targets. The GNU info pages for make have
more details:

 .PHONY
     The prerequisites of the special target `.PHONY' are considered to
     be phony targets.  When it is time to consider such a target,
     `make' will run its commands unconditionally, regardless of
     whether a file with that name exists or what its last-modification
     time is.

There is also a longer multi-page description of PHONY targets
which I won't repeat here.

Regards,
Dan.