Michael Crozier crozierm
Thu Dec 22 00:17:30 PST 2005
On Wednesday 21 December 2005 15:43 pm, Christopher Browne wrote:
> Michael Crozier wrote:
> >On solaris9/sparc/postgresql-7.3.8, the tests are not working:
> >
> >run_test.sh: WARNING: Failed to launch slon on node 1

> You're getting good results with 7.4/8.0/8.1, perchance???

For the moment, I must wait, as my "real" database is syncing a large-ish
table.  This appears to be working fine (7.4.X -> 8.0.X).  I do not have 8.1
installed, but I will try to get to it.  My holiday travels are looming,
however, and it is unlikely that I will find the time.

> There's history of a threading issue on Solaris...  Some versions of the
> client library (e.g. - libpq) required patching, and my first question
> is, are you certain you compiled PostgreSQL 7.3.8 with the option
> "--enable-thread-safety"???

Yes, Postgresql was compiled with --enable-thread-safety.  I used an older
version of slony to migrate off this very Postgresql instance.  This is quite
important for me, as I intend to use slony to migrate away from 7.3.X on a
production database.

Is there are patch available?

> Without that option, and possibly without a patch akin to
> <http://developer.postgresql.org/~wieck/slony1/download/threadsafe-libpq-74
>2.diff.gz>, you'll find that slon will fall over...

I didn't not initially apply that patch, though I did inquire whether one was
neccessary in late July.

Regards,

 Michael