cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info cbbrowne
Thu Dec 8 01:38:35 PST 2005
> Whatever default is, manual override possibility is what I suggested. Do
> you agree it should be configurable on the node level, not as slon cmd
> line option?

I'm not certain what the right answer to that is.  (I don't have call to
use these encodings, so I haven't got the experience to have a meaningful
preference...)

I could see there being multiple answers to this; it seems a mistake to me
to leap to one answer immediately.

I could see this being controlled several ways:

1.  Via a sl_node option which requests translation for all tables on a
given node

2.  Via a slon option which controls this at runtime

3.  Via an sl_table option which requests translation for a specific table
- though that's not enough to specify behaviour on specific nodes...

4.  Maybe we have to manage it at the column level; a mechanism isn't
leaping to mind

Ultimately, it's columns that have to be changed, which will decidedly
affect the COPY in SUBSCRIBE_SET.

I'll bet that's not yet all of the important details, and that we'll need
more in order to assess what is an answer.