Marc G. Fournier scrappy
Sat Nov 20 20:30:23 PST 2004
'k, thanks to Darcy's help, I think I've got it all worked out ... and
I've finally clued into why everyone refers to it as a subscriber, instead
of slave ...

But, next step I'm not sure about, not so much from the initial setup side
of things, since that is fairly straightforward, but on a reboot ...

According to how I'm reading the README file, both the subscriber and
master servers need to be running before I can issue the subscribe set
command ... at least, assuming I'm reading it right ...

Basically, according to the README, I need to start 'slon' up on the
master, and 'slon' up on the subscriber, and then on the master I need to
run run the 'subscribe set' command, which, based on the example, makes a
connection to both master/subscriber and then "links" them, it seems ...

But, what if the subscriber is rebooted?  Do I have to monitor this from
the master side and re-issue the subscribe set command to get them going
again?  *Or* is the subscribe set only run *once* when  you first bring on
the subscriber, so that if the subscriber is rebooted, the only thing that
is needed is to run the 'slon' command on the subscriber for it to pick
up/replicate from master again?

----