Jan Wieck JanWieck
Thu Dec 23 17:35:06 PST 2004
On 12/23/2004 12:14 PM, sarlav kumar wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am new to Slony. I am trying to replicate a test database running on a different server to a slave database on a new server. I have dumped the schema of the test database to the slave database where I want to replicate. The Postgres version on the test database is 7.3.2 and the Postgres version on the new server is 7.4.6. I have heard that Slony might not work with 7.3.2, but I just wanted to give it a shot. I tried running the initial script to configure the database connections and the paths, but I got the following error:
>
> <stdin>:21: PGRES_FATAL_ERROR load '$libdir/xxid';  - ERROR:  LOAD: could not open file '$libdir/xxid': No such file or directory
> <stdin>:21: Error: the extension for the xxid data type cannot be loaded in database 'dbname=test host=hostname user=username password=pass'
>
> Is this because of the 7.3.2 version of Postgres where the Master DB is running?
> Can someone please help me to resolve this problem?

No, "this" one is because you didn't install the Slony software on that
server as well (it needs to be installed on both systems).

But with 7.3.2 you "will" run into another problem later, which is a bug
that got fixed in 7.3.3, the refusal to accept qualified names for data
type casts.

You are supposed to run the latest bugfix release of the 7.3.x branch on
that server anyway. So why don't you upgrade it to 7.3.8 first?

Jan