James Black jfb
Tue Dec 7 01:23:56 PST 2004
Hello, all,

I'm in the process of moving over from a modified contrib/dbmirror
master/slave setup to Slony1.  Everything works ok, but in running
through testing the range of actions that we currently perform, I can't
figure out how to add tables to the cluster.  The sequence of events as
I understand them are: create a new table; create a new set; add the
new table to the new set; merge the new set into the old one.

Is it valid to merge a set into itself?  For example, given the
following slonik commands; tables foo and bar, with proper primary
keys; and a preexisting set id #1:

create set (id = 999, origin = 1, comment = 'temporary set');
set add table (set id = 999, origin = 1, id = 1, full qualified name =
'public.foo');
set add table (set id = 999, origin = 2, id = 2, full qualified name =
'public.bar');
subscribe set ( id = 999, provider = 1, receiver = 2, forward = no );

... is it kosher to merge a set into it's "origin"?  i.e.,

merge set (id = 1, add id = 999, origin = 1);

?

I apologize for the entry-level quality of this question; I am very
excited about replacing dbmirror, but I want to make sure that I am as
comfortable performing simple tasks with slony as with the current
setup first.

Thanks in advance,
jfb

--
What can be said at all can be said clearly; and what we cannot speak
about we must pass over in silence.