Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Thu Jul 22 13:05:22 PDT 2010
Steve Singer <ssinger at ca.afilias.info> writes:
>> I just finished slon_ctl.pl script, which simply starts, stops and also
>> checks status of slon daemon(s). It is attached.

I wonder why we need to have a fourth implementation of this,
considering that we already have:

1. start_slon.sh, which is actually used as part of the regression
   tests, thereby giving us *some* confidence that it usually works.

    http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=slony1-engine.git;a=blob_plain;f=tools/start_slon.sh;hb=refs/heads/master

2. launch_clusters.sh
    http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=slony1-engine.git;a=blob_plain;f=tools/launch_clusters.sh;hb=refs/heads/master

3. A whole project, slony1_ctl
   http://pgfoundry.org/projects/slony1-ctl/

When we already have three, I'd imagine that we ought to consider
retiring at least a couple of them if the existing choices are somehow
so bad that it's evidently worthwhile to implement yet another init
script from scratch.

I realize that replication is such a fun thing that we evidently needed
to implement a whole bunch of replication solutions for PostgreSQL; it
doesn't seem likely to me that the same should apply to "init scripts"
for Slony-I.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ca.afilias.info" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
Christopher Browne