Steve Singer ssinger at ca.afilias.info
Tue Dec 7 10:45:20 PST 2010
On 10-12-07 10:05 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 15:25 -0500, Christopher Browne wrote:
>> Steve Singer<ssinger at ca.afilias.info>  writes:
>
> Yes, if server crashes, many things will be lost.
>
> It seems likely to me that there will few, if any, transactions for
> which we don't know the commit timestamp. All of the current
> transactions will be lost.
>
> Do we really need the timestamp for every single transaction? Surely we
> can make a good guess from the transactions before and after.

If all your doing is building a replication system that moves the slave
from one consistent snapshot to another then you can just group the
transactions with no timestamp into the next commit and be fine.

If one is trying to (as Chris alludes to) implement triggers on the
slave that can use the commit timestamp then an approximation might not
be good enough (depending on what these triggers are and the business
requirements that have lead to them), but I am still unconvinced as to
why you would want to use the commit timestamp (versus the timestamp of
the individual operations) for something.