Jan Wieck JanWieck at Yahoo.com
Mon Sep 24 10:10:31 PDT 2007
On 9/24/2007 12:18 PM, Decibel! wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 11:22:42AM -0400, Jan Wieck wrote:

>> >Actually, what I'm really wondering is if a "commit ID" analogous to a
>> >transaction ID but set at commit time (and in order of commits) would
>> >vastly simplify things...
>>
>> It would simplify things for a single master, multiple slaves system.
>> But a pure ID won't help a multimaster system at all. If you are
>
> Well, we currently don't have any multi-master systems that aren't
> statement-based, so I'd be happy for just having a commit ID right
> now... I suspect that a future multi-master system could still make use
> of a plain commit ID as well (though it'd obviously need something more
> than that).

Unless you have a particular use case in mind, I'd be against such plain
commit ID right now.

The point is that if we have "something" now, we have to support and
continue having "that something" in the future. Which will be what? A
thing that theoretically can make life easier for existing replication
systems, that already have a solution for not having it in the first
place. But it will also be a thing that is *in the way* of something
that might be useful for replication systems we don't have yet, like a
row based multimaster. The argument then being "we already have x, y and
z that we need to support; how much more things have to be added to core?".

For Slony-I specifically, we are currently developing version 2.0. This
version will not be backwards compatible to any Postgres version before
8.3 because it makes use of the pg_trigger and pg_rewrite changes that
happened there. This is required because the system catalog mucking done
in earlier Slony versions had caused endless pain. However, the benefits
of any kind of "commit ID" that might be coming in 8.4 will not warrant
such backwards incompatibility again. So I doubt that Slony-I would make
use of such feature any sooner than when we drop support for 8.3
somewhere in the distant future.

Jan