Jan Wieck JanWieck at Yahoo.com
Thu Aug 30 07:38:00 PDT 2007
On 8/22/2007 8:32 PM, Radim Kolar SF.NET wrote:
> small changes to slony can improve
> performance a lot during replicating over wan high-latency link.
>
> 1. fetch more than 100 lines at once becase fetching over WAN is slow
>   its easy to compute average line size and then fetch for example +- 1MB
>   of log lines.
>
> 2. Can pgsql use gzip compression for data transfers?

I made good experiences with compressed ssh port forwarding.

> not related to wan but
> 3. consider to use prepared statements for updating subscribed tables

The problem with prepared statements is that any given log entry might
touch different columns in the table. So for a table with 8 columns
there are 255 different possible prepared statements to keep around. In
reality, an application might show a certain pattern of 4-10 different
updates per table, but keeping a cache and detecting which statement to
use when isn't as easy to implement as it is to say "use prepared
statements".

An idea I had for a future "thing" is to feed the replication log via
COPY into the replica and have a trigger on that log table interpret it
and do all the table modifications.

Jan