Tignor, Tom ttignor at akamai.com
Mon Sep 12 11:29:27 PDT 2016
                Hello slony1 users,
                I’m looking at “controlled switchover.” While there are some varying accounts online, I see the 2.2.4 and 2.2.5 doc both describe these ops as the method to reliably pass the origin role from one node to another. We have recently seen some deadlock errors doing ops slightly different than those here. Can someone confirm this is the expected method? Does it matter where the slonik script is run?

A small slonik script executes the following commands:

lock set (id = 1, origin = 1);
wait for event (origin = 1, confirmed = 2, wait on=1);
move set (id = 1, old origin = 1, new origin = 2);
wait for event (origin = 1, confirmed = 2, wait on=1);
After these commands, the origin (master role) of data set 1 has been transferred to node2. And it is not simply transferred; it is done in a fashion such that node1 becomes a fully synchronized subscriber, actively replicating the set. So the two nodes have switched roles completely.

                Thanks,

                Tom    ☺