Tory M Blue tmblue at gmail.com
Sat May 21 14:56:52 PDT 2016
This maybe an odd request and let me preface this by saying, we have
used Slony for over 10 years, it works great, we have had no real
major issues.

However my data sets, index creation times are starting to mean that a
drop/add of my master or a full replicated slave, takes about 15 hours
to come back on line (only takes about 2 hours to copy the data, but
some indexes take 7 hours on their own).. So any maintenance that
requires a drop/add (upgrades), requires a herculean effort, even with
dropping indexes and adding them at the end manually and concurrently
(as much as possible)

So I was thinking with a master-master setup that Postgres provides,
could I run Postgres replication between the master  servers
(master/slave), and run Slony to create our read only db's (these take
a bit less than 30 minutes to create)?

I've been unsuccessful in determining why the index creation takes so
long (and right, it's not Slony, it's Postgresql!!)

I would love to keep Slony for the read only query DB's and like I
said considering moving to Postrgresql replication for the
master/master. My query DB's only need about 5% of the data that is in
the insert master/slave, so using Postgresql replication and forcing
the same huge size db on each smaller query node, doesn't sound very
appetizing.

The other issue is any heavy process causes Slony to backup, major
deletes back up, and it's just getting worse.

Is this silly, is it either/or and I should now this?

Thanks
Tory