Jan Wieck jan at wi3ck.info
Mon Dec 21 16:53:58 PST 2015
On 12/21/2015 05:44 PM, David Fetter wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 11:45:04AM -0300, "Gonzalo Vásquez @ Waypoint" wrote:
>> Is it actually possible to somehow use Slony with Amazon’s RDS
>> service? I’m aware that there’s no such thing as a host that you can
>> log into to make Slony’s configurations, but perhaps it can be done
>> remotely from a side server or something like that?
>
> You would need to get access to RDS's catalog that you don't have, so
> my best guess is, "no." That's the technical side.
>
> On the business side, Amazon has very strong incentives to block
> anything that might let you migrate off their services easily, so my
> best guess is that any attempt to do this would be treated by Amazon
> as an attack.

On the technical side it would make a lot of sense to actually support
the strongest replication system, that has been though the test of time
for cross platform, cross version upgrade for a decade now.

But then again, that would mean to invest in people and that means
becoming dependent on individuals. So on the business side it doesn't
make that much sense. Hire and fire businesses like Amazon cannot depend
on skilled individuals.

Regards, Jan

--
Jan Wieck