Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Sun May 4 03:59:48 PDT 2014
On Sat, May 03, 2014 at 04:38:05PM -0400, Jan Wieck wrote:
> This is a very poor hackaround and I am 100% against that. The
> message didn't come "From" the list (daemon), it came from a person.

I have to agree with this.  I think the people (Dave Crocker, note, is
one of them) who claim that mailing lists _are_ the source of the mail
are being technically correct at the expense of every user's model of
what's going on.  It's silly.

> don't know any package that actually works yet. I think my
> suggestion is to block Yahoo! senders and wait until there is an
> actual solution out there that is known to work.

Note that, given the DMARC specification and the way DKIM works, there
will _never_ be an actual solution out there, short of "ignore the
validation rules whenever the mail comes from a list".  One solution
that is being offered is, "Whitelist all mailing lists and ignore
DMARC in that case."  Yeah, that'll scale.

If we think there's a bad problem with this, and we don't want to move
the bounces back to individuals (by rewriting addresses to be
"yahoo.com.INVALID"), then tossing yahoo.com addresses (and any other
address that has the reject profile in place) is the only answer.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at crankycanuck.ca