Vick Khera vivek at khera.org
Fri Mar 14 11:01:36 PDT 2014
On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Steve Singer <ssinger at ca.afilias.info>wrote:

> You can turn keep alive's off on the slon end with
> tcp_keepalive
>
> http://www.slony.info/documentation/2.2/slon-config-connection.html

I'm fairly sure this keep alive is a red herring here. In FreeBSD 9.1,
postgres complains with the same getsockopt error, and all that does is
cause postgres to not do the corresponding setsockopt.  It makes no
difference if you patch FreeBSD to have the getsockopt succeed.

Furthermore, setting the keeplalive timeout in freebsd down to 150 seconds
doesn't cause the connection to fail sooner. In fact on my running systems,
the timeout was 2 hours. So something else is funky going on here.

FWIW, I did not recompile postgres or slony after upgrading to freebsd 9.2
from 9.1. Also, my master is still running 9.1 and never locks up.
Something freebsd-related for sure.

But i will try to disable slony's keepalive just in the slim chance that it
is related.