Jan Wieck jan at wi3ck.info
Fri Jun 27 19:08:43 PDT 2014
On Jun 27, 2014 7:44 PM, "Dave Cramer" <davecramer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 June 2014 16:55, Jan Wieck <jan at wi3ck.info> wrote:
>>
>> I guess you mean either UNSUBSCRIBE SET or DROP NODE.
>>
>> What should happen in the UNSUBSCRIBE case is that the node quickly
confirms all the outstanding events since they no longer require
replicating any data, at which point all providers can perform/finish log
switching again.

>> In the case of DROP NODE the behavior is similar. Make sure that ALL
remaining nodes in the cluster have forgotten everything about the dropped
node before attempting to rebuild it. Or rebuild it with a different node
ID.

>> If this is your only node, then you could as well uninstall the whole
cluster and start from scratch.

> Yes I did mean UNSUBSCRIBE SET. And I forgot to mention this is slony 1.2

I forgive you.

> Also as is usually the case it is not as simple as I have first posed.
For reasons that I won't elaborate the lagging subscription is a duplicate
of one that is not lagging.

Since you (apparently) already gave up on that lagging node, dropping it
should work just as well, or even better. That said ...

> One of the sl_log_x files is 16G in size.
>
> Suggestions are welcome

... would it be possible to take a brief application outage of 10 minutes
or so?

If yes, then you could stop the application and wait for the "healthy" node
to catch up 100% (slonik script doing a SYNC and WAIT FOR EVENT). Now you
stop all slon processes and remove Slony via UNINSTALL NODE commands.
Install Slony 2.2 and rebuild the cluster. The formerly healthy node is
getting subscribed with OMIT COPY, so it doesn't copy any data. Since you
now have a replica you can start the application and let the third node
rebuild with the regular copy.

I know that this doesn't sound too cozy at first, but we have done this
UNINSTALL and rebuild with OMIT COPY several times to our production
environment (for reasons I now won't elaborate on). Bottom line is that it
works reliably.

We can work through this in more detail on the phone and through other
media if you like.

Jan

> Dave Cramer
>
> www.credativ.ca
>

>> On Jun 27, 2014 4:04 PM, "Dave Cramer" <davecramer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> If I drop the subscription through drop set will the log file be
automagically cleaned up ?

>>> If not how can I fix it ?
>>>
>>> Dave Cramer

Jan Wieck