Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Jul 14 06:56:44 PDT 2014
On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 09:35:15 -0400 Dave Cramer <davecramer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well distance pretty much translates into high rtt. I am talking about
> Toronto to Mumbai or the equivalent

In my previous job I was involved in lots of Slony replication across the
contenental U.S.  (From east to west coast).  The RTT was seldom a problem.
We did have difficulty occasionally when spikes of activity would back
replication up for a day or more, but these were the exceptions, not the
rule, and they almost always recovered.

That only gives you so much info, though.  Your success/failure is going
to be a factor of how much replication traffic you actually generate, what
kind of actual bandwidth you're able to secure between your two sites, and
how much you can tolerate occasional replication lag if there are spikes of
activity or network problems.

Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com>