Tory M Blue tmblue at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 12:26:51 PST 2014
On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:35 AM, Vick Khera <vivek at khera.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 5:15 PM, Tory M Blue <tmblue at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> so I'm wondering how do I change my scripts to create the index's at the
>> end? I obviously can't drop the index on the master or everything will go
>> to heck in a hand basket, but is there an instruction set when I'm adding a
>> node and adding sets to that node, to tell it to ignore the indexes?
>>

> I'm pretty sure slony disables indexes while copying, then re-builds them
> after it is done.

Actually I believe this is beyond slony. The schema tells postgres what to
do, so if it's creating indexes when the table is created, seems like
everything pauses / waits for the index to be done, before moving on to the
next table copy.

So I think editing the schema to do the indexes at the end or not at all
(make it manual), one should be able to use that schema on a remote slon
host, that host will not pause to create indexes, and allow slony to push
the data without a significant pause (some of our indexes have taken 4+
hours to create).

I'm going to test this anyways, I don't see anything particular to slon to
stop this behaviour

Thanks
Tory