Glyn Astill glynastill at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 8 03:42:35 PDT 2011
Hi Guys,

Since we were on slony 1.2 I've been doing full pg_dumps from our servers, and restoring them onto a test setup daily.

Since we've moved to 2.0 I've noticed that those full dumps now cause the subscribers to lag.  I just wanted to ask - is this expected behaviour in 2.0? And is the only real workaround skipping the schema during pg_dump?

It appears to me that cleanupEvent() is waiting for exclusive access to something in the slony schema.  An uneducated guess is that it's going to be that cleanupEvent() is calling logswitch_start() or logswitch_finish() and they are trying to lock sl_config_lock which is blocking. In turn cleanupEvent() can't commit some other update it's done causing createEvent() to block also?

Am I wrong in thinking cleanupEvent() didn't used to kick off the logswitching in 1.2?  And am I oversimplifying things by saying why can't the logswitch functions just add NOWAIT when trying to lock sl_config_lock, and skip it if an exception is raised?  Or am I just totally wrong?

Thanks
Glyn