Christopher Browne cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info
Thu Nov 18 12:20:27 PST 2010
Paweł Tęcza <P.Tecza at icm.edu.pl> writes:
> Dnia 2010-11-18, czw o godzinie 18:03 +0100, "Stéphane A. Schildknecht"
> pisze:
>> Personally, I work with slony1_ctl (http://slony1-ctl.projects.postgresql.org/)
>> to deal with my replications. So I'm afraid I can't help choosing between perl
>> or slonik scripts.
>
> I have never heard about slony1_ctl. Could you please write more about
> that tool? Maybe any examples of usage? What advantages over slonik has
> slony1_ctl utility?

slony1_ctl is a set of shell scripts that write slonik scripts.

They are more or less equivalent to the "altperl" scripts (see
<http://www.slony.info/documentation/2.0/appendix.html#ALTPERL>), with
the primary differences that:

a) slony1_ctl is written as shell scripts, rather than in Perl.

b) slony1_ctl is quite a lot more actively maintained than the "altperl"
stuff in the Slony-I distribution.

slony_ctl and "altperl" are both ways to help generate slonik scripts,
so they're not actually a replacement for slonik.

I haven't used slony1_ctl to configure a  cluster, and have used
"altperl" to so.  On the other hand, I haven't used "altperl" for
anything important in a number of years, so that's not much of a
commendation.

I know there are people who are periodically still using altperl, so it
seems an unsafe idea to drop that from the Slony-I distribution.  I'd
still *like* to drop it, even though I know there's good reason not to!
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ca.afilias.info" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
Christopher Browne