Jan Wieck JanWieck at Yahoo.com
Wed Nov 10 06:47:45 PST 2010
On 11/9/2010 8:08 PM, sharadov wrote:

> Hey Vick - I inherited this system, and the reason am here on this forum, is
> to figure this out.
> And I don't need any unsolicited advice from the likes of you.

Everyone take a deep breath!

We don't need exchanges like this on the Slony mailing lists. Vick is
one of the most helpful people on here. That comment about going home
may have been uncalled for, but it isn't that bad either. If you
inherited production servers and have such little expertise in the
actual administration of that operating system that you don't know how
to check if a certain executable is running, the chance for you doing
more harm while stumbling around with root permissions is pretty big. IF
that is the case that you are on an unfamiliar OS lacking proper
documentation of what is installed and where, you should consider hiring
a consultant for a day or two to figure this out.

If that is not an option, first of all figure out how the slon processes
are launched (if at all) on system startup. Depending on your OS and
distribution, there should be a start/stop script somewhere in a init.d
or rc.d directory, that launches and kills the slon executable.

 From that script you should be able to figure out the actual location
of the slon process binary. Execute that with the -v option to get the
exact version number of the installed Slony. This will allow us to give
you version specific help since things have changed over time.

The script should also show you where the slon log files are located.
Examine them according to Chris' comments.

Jan