Lorenzo Bolzani l.bolzani at gmail.com
Mon May 31 06:25:24 PDT 2010
Hi all,
I'm evaluating for my current project.

I suspect this question has been answered several times but I checked the
docs and google and I didn't found a clear answer.

Can slony be used if the slave schemas are slightly different from the
master one?

We have a 1 master and 2 slave installations of a system automation
application. The application can be upgraded independently on the three
nodes.

So this could be an actual scenario:

master:  version 1.34
slave1:  version  1.35
slave2:  version  1.32

Any version update could imply some schema changes, for example:

- add/drop/modify a column
- add/drop a table

The schema changes must NOT be replicated because any version of the running
application expects different schemas (of course small changes can be
replicated without problems).

What I'd like slony to do is to handle missing columns (with defaults if not
null), extra columns (ignoring), and for big changes transform data through
a custom script.

Can this be achieved?

It's acceptable, for the most complex cases, to use temporary tables to save
changes to be applied later on the actual ones.

Thanks for any pointer

Bye

Lorenzo