Jaime Casanova jaime at 2ndquadrant.com
Thu May 27 12:48:26 PDT 2010
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Brian Fehrle
<brianf at consistentstate.com> wrote:

> A question: I'm still a little unfamiliar with a couple aspects of
> slony, but from my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong), when adding
> a table to replication, slonik modifies the table so that whenever a
> insert, delete, update happens, it creates a trigger that alerts slony
> of the existence of data that needs to be sent to the slave nodes. I
> guess my question is, is there a way to insert data into the table and
> cause that trigger effect to not be executed?

yes, you can disable triggers... before 8.1 you do it by updating the
tg_enabled field in the pg_trigger catalog but after 8.1 you can do:
ALTER TABLE jcm DISABLE TRIGGER [nombre | ALL | USER];

> And if it is possible,
> could that cause the situation of "missing data" that slony itself
> doesn't even know about (since it's reporting everything is in sync). If
> this is possible, then I may have an situation where a user is inserting
> data in an odd way that makes the inserted data not able to be replicated

but as you can see one that knows what's doing had to be the
culprit... is not something that happens by "accident"
another posibility is that someone TRUNCATE the slave table at some
point in time (TRUNCATE triggers aren't created by slony because they
appear in 8.4)

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Soporte y capacitación de PostgreSQL