Steve Singer ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca
Tue May 18 14:47:31 PDT 2010
On Tue, 18 May 2010, Ben Chobot wrote:

> Anybody?
>
> On May 12, 2010, at 10:22 AM, Ben Chobot wrote:
>
>> I currently have 5 nodes in my slony 1.2 cluster: A, B, C, D, and E.
>> Nodes A and B take turns being the origin. Node C will always be a
>> subscriber but is also a provider to nodes D and E, which have subscribed
>> to their set with forward=no. (All other nodes have subscribed with
>> forward=yes.) So:
>>
>> (A or B) provides to C provides to (D and E)
>>
>> I have two intertwined questions about this configuration. The first is,
>> how do I reshape when C dies? I assume I should just tell D and E to
>> receive from A or B.....

Yes I think so.

>> ...but (and this is the second question) D and E have subscribed with
>> forward=no, and I've heard that you don't want something with forward=no
>> talking to a node which might be become the origin. So should I just
>> subscribe D and E with forward=yes, even though they'll never forward
>> their data on?

You don't want a node that MIGHT become a provider(say in the event of
another node failing) with forwarder=no.  The origin can send data to nodes
with forward=no, those nodes just won't be useful as backup providers if the
origin fails.

>> As a third question, I'm becoming a bit concerned about the number of
>>nodes in my cluster, especially because I want to add a third node that
>>might become the origin and also a third node that feeds from C in the
>> common case. Do D and E need paths between their current provider only,
>>or do they need to be in constant talk with all of their potential
>>providers?

D and E only need paths between their current provider.  If you reshape your
cluster so D and E have a new provider you can add paths at that
time.