Venkatraju venkatraju at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 03:29:29 PDT 2010
Hi,

I have a two node Slony cluster running version 1.2.14 on PostgreSQL
8.1.11 on CentOS 5. I noticed that the subscriber had not been
replicating for almost 6
hours now (from sl_status). Slony logs on publisher and subscriber
contain the following messages:

NOTICE:  Slony-I: log switch to sl_log_2 still in progress - sl_log_1
not truncated
WARN   cleanupThread: "select "_cluster".logswitch_weekly(); " -
ERROR: Previous logswitch still in progress
CONTEXT:  SQL statement "SELECT  "_cluster".logswitch_start()"

Both sl_log_1 and sl_log_2 tables contain a large number of rows
(~500,000 rows in sl_log_1 and ~8 million in sl_log_2). Some
questions:

1) We found some long running transactions active on the publisher.
Could this cause logswitch to fail? The long running transactions were
against a database that is not used in replication - could those
queries hold up the logswitch?

2) Slony maintenance page
(http://www.slony.info/documentation/maintenance.html) says:

"That means that on a regular basis, these tables are completely
cleared out, so that you will not suffer from them having grown to
some significant size, due to heavy load, after which they are
incapable of shrinking back down."

"incapable of shrinking back down"? Does this mean there is no way to
recover from this state without rebuilding the DBs?

Regards,
Venkat